Thursday, February 7, 2013

Week 20: Halfway there!

Well, we are officially in our 20th week of homeschool, which means we are halfway through our first school year! Although we've been slogging at this for 20 weeks, we're only at around day 70 of actually book time, because we work on a four-day school week and we've had a few breaks. Which is actually what I'm ready for right now - a break.

I know we've only been schooling since the holidays for five weeks, but it feels like forever. I'm so exhausted - my health is just in the pits again right now and by 5pm tonight, I was in bed again. We are doing well on schoolwork and I'm actually feeling good about the progress we're making, but still tweaking how to do it - especially when my health isn't cooperating. Today we had "sofa school" - with me reading and working with the boys on math, writing and history while resting in my recliner. It wasn't the best, but it was okay. It sure made me realize that poor Benjamin doesn't really know what a verb is! How did he get through  2nd grade and half of this 3rd grade year without getting that?! Here's where I bring things to a screeching halt, find what my baby needs and work on this now.

I'm finding we're not going to finish all the curricula by the end of the year. I'm going to have to say "tough noogies", because that's what it takes. The boys know their multiplication tables better now than ever, but still not all of it. Ben doesn't know what a verb is and Danny still writes from the bottom and right. But we ARE ahead of where we started in September - and our family is happier and stronger than ever. 

Halfway there ain't halfway bad :)



1 comment: